Sunday, June 26, 2011

Re-purposed Leather Sunglasses Sleeve

For some reason I didn't feel like making a new boxer shorts pattern today. Instead I made a sleeve for my darkers using the tongues of some old Red Wing's that I got from a co-worker. The interior is lined with organic cotton/hemp fleece. Hand-stitched and riveted.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Mascot pt. 3

The Mascot (pt. 2)

"The Devils Ball". The strangest, and probably best section from Starewicz's, The Mascot

The Mascot (1933) Ladislaw Starewicz

Loading Cross Ties, Wisconsin, 1942

Clear Acrylic Stamps

I had some clear acrylic stamps made recently for my imaginary future clothing brand, Circle "A". Two out of the three work pretty well. For the rounded diamond logo the acrylic material pools the ink, so it doesn't print as a solid color. I've read that using a fine grain sandpaper to rough up the surface may help. Still need to experiment with different inks too. For my next logo stamps I'll probably spend a little more and go for the more traditional red rubber stamp.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Drawers, v.2

Same fabric as the previous version expect for inner fly piece which is natural colored muslin. I guess I can consider these boxers as my first experiment in pattern grading. I took a size 26 and made a size 30 from it. Overall it worked better than I was expecting. I'm going to make another version using the same fabric, but increase the waist 1/2" more, shorten the back slash a little, and use white, all-cotton thread. After that I can make a pair with some leftover gray chambray I've been saving.

Then the next step will be to try and reduce the front waistband curve an inch or so.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Baseball Club, Tampa, 1902


Just finished these this evening. Based on a mid-1940's pattern for boys. This pair is at least two sizes too small for me, but it's a test piece. I should be able to draft a larger pattern based on the original. I'm pretty determined to get it right, and I'm excited about the possibility of having some long lasting boxers that won't have elastic to get worn out. The fabric is from a French cotton sheet that I bought at the thrift store.

Friday, June 17, 2011

It Happened One Night (1934)

New Fabric

I got some new fabric in yesterday. For the past few months I've purposefully not bought any fabric so that I can "whittle down" my current stash. Well, I found some stuff that I couldn't resist. So for any of you nerdy enough to get into fabric details here it is.

The black fabric is a selvedge canvas made in North Carolina by Cone Mills. I only ordered enough for one project, so I'm already having a hard time deciding what to do with it. My original intent was/is to use if for another version of the 1940's-1950's style zip-front work jacket that I've made before, but some Carhartt-style riveted work pants would be something interesting to work on too. Or I could make a work vest for myself.

The indigo fabric is a linen/cotton heavy-weight chambray. It's from Turkey, and I usually only buy stuff that's made in the U.S., but it's a really great looking fabric. The weft is dark indigo and the warp is a warm gray-ish gold. Probably make a Navy/Mariner style overshirt with it.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Selvedge Denim Work Vest, v.2

Here's a new vest that I'm just about finished with. I know I've told everyone that's asked me that I'm not doing any bespoke/custom garment making, but this one's for my Grandma'.

I'll post some more details once I'm able to find the right buckle. I'm looking for a one inch, japanned black, two-prong, wire buckle, if anyone has one laying around...