Wednesday, January 30, 2013

1930's style Cigarette Pocket Work Shirt, selvage denim

I've been somewhat avoiding doing custom work while I'm trying to focus on the Slowboat Deadstock line, but this one sort of came together just right, and at the right time.

All hand-felled seams and single needle detail throughout.  Bar tack's at all stress points.

Ingredients: vintage selvedge denim, vintage enameled metal buttons, all cotton thread.

The fabric is the centerpiece - vintage selvedge denim from the 1930's-1940's.  The best I've found so far; lot's of character, a tight weave, and a great shade of indigo.  My only regret is that I don't have enough left to make one for myself.

The fabric was such a narrow width that I had to split the sleeve pattern in two in order to fit it on the fabric when folded in half.  From what I've seen that was a fairly common practice before the mid-1900's.  The neat thing is that it allows for another hidden selvedge detail.














No comments:

Post a Comment